Comments are readable text in the java source code. The main reason to add comments to source code is to make the code easy to understand for humans.
Single & Multiline comments
Comments help understand the code written to other developers in the team. We can add important details, code examples in the comments to a better understanding of the code logic.
Complex programs need well-written comments in the code explaining the algorithm etc.
Add to Java Documentation
Comments also add to the Project documentation HTML files. Example of generating and adding java documentation is at:
Most application source code files have license information in the comments section. An example of a comment that has license information is:
/* Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
* contributor license agreements. See the NOTICE file distributed with
* this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
* The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
* (the “License”); you may not use this file except in compliance with
* the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Code templates: we can configure auto-generation of comments in the Code templates.
Example of To-do generated for a method body.